Alumni/ae of the Catholic Biblical School have several options for continuing their biblical education with the Archdiocese of Hartford, including twice-yearly (fall and spring) ten-week courses taught at St. Thomas Seminary. Some of the courses that have been offered in past years are:
- Passion Narratives in the Gospels
- Gospel of Luke
- Gospel of John
- Acts of the Apostles
“Silent Auditing” for CBS Graduates
Graduates of the Catholic Biblical School are invited to register online to participate in any of the core CBS classes as a “silent auditor.” The link will be provided each summer in this space. Here’s how it works:
- Grads must register to sit in on one of the classes.
- Grads who have already audited courses will be given preference for Year 2 and Adv Year courses.
- Grads who register are free to attend all thirty sessions of that class, free of charge. (Individual teachers may charge a photocopying fee for materials.)
- Grads are encouraged to form their own small group with other grads.
- At no time will grads participate with first-year students in small groups.
- Graduate small groups will decide on their own agenda for the small group portion of the class and will facilitate their group activities independently of the instructor.
- Graduate small groups are invited to meet during class at the same time that student small groups are meeting, as directed by the class instructor.
- Class instructors will not entertain questions from silent auditors EXCEPT (at the instructor’s discretion) during small-group discussion time (Grads should find out what the course instructor prefers and work within his or her guidelines.)
- Silent auditors may listen to instructor input but will remain silent during this part of the class.
- Graduate small groups are committed to one another and should let each other know about absences or cancellations as far in advance as possible.
- To find out about weather-related cancellations, grads are responsible for accessing the STS Registrar notification system at http://www.stsregistrar.org/cgi-bin/CBS/cbsstudentlogin.pl. You can always call the Office of Religious Education and Evangelization during business hours to check class cancellations (860-242-5573). It is not our policy to notify auditors directly. To find out more about the Alumni Portal click here.
- Scripture Days may be audited for a fee of $15 per session.
- Fee must be received 10 days in advance of the Scripture Day you wish to audit. No exceptions will be made.
Some suggestions for proceeding:
- Grads in the same class are encouraged to exchange contact information and to keep in touch.
- Grads might prefer to focus on questions raised in prayerful reading of the assigned scripture texts.
- Grads might want to use the “Optional Challenges” in their CBS Year One Workbooks for topic and question ideas for reflection and discussion.
- Graduate small groups can be as creative as they want about how they operate.
- Grads are encouraged to pass along their ideas for operating with other grads and with the CBS Coordinator (BJ), to the benefit of the entire “Silent Audit” program.
Year One Weekly Class Schedule:
- Mondays 7:00-9:00 pm Lyceum, Terryville. Begins September 12, 2016 Instructors: Alexis Chacchia (Units 1-2); BJ Daly Horell (Unit 3) Tuesdays, 10:00-Noon
- St. Aloysius, Plantsville Begins September 13, 2016 Instructors: Sr. Jewel Renna (Units 1 and 3); Marcia Franko (Unit 2)
- Tuesdays 6:30-8:30 Caritas Christi Center, Hamden Begins September 13, 2016 Instructors: Marcia Franko (Units 1-2); Melissa Pucci (Unit 3)
- Thursdays 6:30-8:30 St. Thomas Seminary, Bloomfield Begins September 15, 2016 Instructor: BJ Daly Horell Continuing Education Courses (CBS Alums only)
Student* Portal: http://www.stsregistrar.org/cgi-bin/CBS/cbsstudent... *Includes alumni
CBS Alums: If you haven't taken a course in recent years, you may not yet be in the system. Contact Jill Costa at Jill.Costa@aohct.org and provide her with information that will enable her to add you to the system.
Instructions for accessing the student portal, where all official notifications (grades, cancellations, student contact information) are posted:
- To log in to the portal, enter you password into the field below the blue "Please Login" notice, and click on the "Login" button.
- Passwords are case sensitive.
- All alumni passwords follow the same format:UPPER CASE initials (two or three letters, depending on whether you gave us a middle initial) followed by your eight-digit date of birth. So if you’re Mr. Donald E. Duck, born March 13, 1914, your password would be: DED03131914. Or if no middle initial was provided in your application, the password would be:DD03131914.
For more information, please contact:
BJ Daly Horell
Archdiocesan Director of the Catholic Biblical School
860-242-5573 ext. 2679