“On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: "Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you… nothing is more solid, profound, secure, meaningful and wisdom-filled than that initial proclamation."
Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium
Now that the Archdiocese of Hartford Pastoral Planning changes have been set into motion, many of you will be restructuring your parish Religious Education programs. Whether your need is evaluating curriculum, utilizing new resources, redesigning new programs, or planning a retreat for catechists from your newly merged programs, the OEEC is available to assist your efforts. Below is a list of things we hope you will find helpful:
- All merging parishes have received a Stewards for Tomorrow Parish Policies and Procedures Manual. This includes a section on “Liturgical Issues” to include prayer services and rituals for closing and merging parishes (section 11).
- If you are looking for new textbooks for your program, you can click here to see a list of the current texts approved by the United States Council of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).
- The Archdiocesan Religious Education Standards were revised and approved by Archbishop Blair in 2011 and are available here for you to use as a resource and guide.
First Annual Faith Formation Share Fair
Calling all Youth Ministers, Catechetical Leaders, Catechists, and Catholic School Educators!!
We know the summer months are for rest, relaxation and renewal, it is also a great time to plan for the new year. Come to our first annual Faith Formation Share Fair
to share your ideas with your peers in ministry and leave with some new ideas. The OEEC is offering four dates at four geographical locations to make this opportunity accessible for everyone. You are invited to attend the one closest to home or all four, if you choose.
- South Windsor: St. Francis of Assisi, Church Hall, 673 Ellington Road, July 11, 10:00 a.m.
- South Windsor: St. Francis of Assisi, Church Hall, 673 Ellington Road, July 11, 7:00 p.m.
- Cheshire: St. Thomas Beckett, Parish Hall, 435 N. Brooksvale Road, July 20, 10:00 a.m.
- Cheshire: St. Thomas Beckett, Parish Hall, 435 N. Brooksvale Road, July 20, 7:00 p.m.
- North Haven: St. Therese, Parish Center, 555 Middletown Avenue, July 25, 10:00 a.m.
- Simsbury: St. Mary, 942 Hopmeadow Street, August 2, 10:00 a.m.
New England Convocation 2017
Registration is now open for the NECDDRE (New England Diocesan Directors of Religious Education) Convocation, taking place August 10-12, 2017 in Springfield, MA. This biennial event is an excellent opportunity for all parish ministers: catechetical leaders, youth ministers, Confirmation coordinators, RCIA coordinators, priests and deacons, and everyone in between! A variety of workshops and speakers will be offered to develop stronger parish ministries and more vibrant communities. Visit www.necddre.org to learn more about the workshops, the speakers and to register. Options include the full Thursday-Saturday event, or individual days, so feel free to come and go as needed (Springfield is a short jaunt from the Archdiocese of Hartford). Many workshops will be offered in Spanish. Scholarship information is also available.
To download a flyer, click here.
Archdiocesan Director of Catechetical Education
860-242-5573 ext. 2663