“On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: "Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you… nothing is more solid, profound, secure, meaningful and wisdom-filled than that initial proclamation."
Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium
Now that the Archdiocese of Hartford Pastoral Planning changes have been set into motion, many of you will be restructuring your parish Religious Education programs. Whether your need is evaluating curriculum, utilizing new resources, redesigning new programs, or planning a retreat for catechists from your newly merged programs, the OEEC is available to assist your efforts. Below is a list of things we hope you will find helpful:
- All merging parishes have received a Stewards for Tomorrow Parish Policies and Procedures Manual. This includes a section on “Liturgical Issues” to include prayer services and rituals for closing and merging parishes (section 11).
- If you are looking for new textbooks for your program, you can click here to see a list of the current texts approved by the United States Council of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).
- The Archdiocesan Religious Education Standards were revised and approved by Archbishop Blair in 2011 and are available here for you to use as a resource and guide.
Resources for Times of Tragedy
It is so very difficult to talk with children and youth about tragedies and violence in our world, especially violence against young people. Below are resources which will help you in having these conversations with those you minister to. It is during these tragic times that we are called to bring the light of Christ to those who are saddened and faced with hopelessness. To see a list of resources, check out the Catechist Resources page.
STEP Courses for February
All catechists, catechetical leaders, Catholic school teachers, and everyone interested in deepening their faith are invited to take a STEP Course. Theology courses offered by STEP at the University of Notre Dame this coming February. The Archdiocese of Hartford has a partnership with STEP which provides a 50% discount so that the
cost of the course per individual is $49.50. Course participants gain a rich overview of Catholic beliefs and faith practices and grow in their personal faith.
Courses Starting on February 12:
- An Introduction to Sacraments
- Catholic Social Teaching
- The Creed: We Believe...
- Emerging Models of Catechesis: A Study of Faith Formation Models
- In God's Image: The Mystery of Creation
- Introduction to the New Testament
- Liturgical Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours
- The Old Testament: The Writings
- On Prayer
- The Reformation
- Youth Ministry 202
For more information on the STEP program, contact:
Archdiocesan Director of Catechetical Initiatives
860-242-5573 ext. 2652
Archdiocesan Director of Catechetical Education
860-242-5573 ext. 2663