Official Fact Sheet

Office of Education, Evangelization and Catechesis, Archdiocese of Hartford
Catholic School Profile, School Year 2016 - 2017

The Hartford Archdiocese is, according to enrollment, the 44th largest network of Catholic schools among the 175 (Arch) Dioceses in the United States that have schools. According to number of schools, the Archdiocese of Hartford is the 31st largest.St. Mary School Milford Robotics Jan 17.jpg

53 Catholic Schools

42 (Inter) Parish elementary/middle schools (including 1 solely Pre-K), 2 Private elementary/middle schools, 4 Archdiocesan high schools, 5 Private high schools

Student Enrollment

Total Enrollment = 12,618
Pre-K/elementary/middle school students = 8,306
Secondary school students = 4,312
Enrollment diversity: 2,556 or 20%; Hispanic ethnicity: 965 or 8% (Total: 28%) (3% unknown)
Students of Catholic faith enrollment = 9,562 or 76%
Students of other faiths enrollment = 2,741 or 22% (2% unknown)

Student Diversity and Faith Backgrounds

The Archdiocese of Hartford welcomes and affirms all cultures, ethnic groups and faith backgrounds. The rate of racial diversity in the Catholic schools is 20% and the Hispanic ethnicity is 8% (total 28%). (According to the National Catholic Educational Association, NCEA, the rate of racial diversity in Catholic schools nationally is 20.3% and the Hispanic ethnicity is 16.1%, total 36.4%. In New England the rates in Catholic schools are 18% racial diversity and 7.8% Hispanic ethnicity, total 25.8%.) Of the total 12,618 students enrolled in our Catholic schools, 76% are Roman Catholic, 22% come from other faith backgrounds, and 2% unknown. The Archdiocese of Hartford enrolls approximately 225 international students from over 10 countries in 11 of the schools.

Professional Staff (Pre-K-12)

Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Hartford, including parish schools, diocesan high schools and private elementary and secondary schools, employ 1,355 professional staff members. 80% of the professional staff is Catholic, 20% is non-Catholic.

Professional Staff

Full-time: 1,074 or 79%
Part-time: 281 or 21%
Laity (FT and PT): 1,327 or 98%
Religious/Clergy: 28 or 2%
Student/Teacher ratio – Elementary/Middle School = 11 to 1 (including part-time)
Student/Full-time Teacher ratio – Elementary/Middle School = 16 to 1
Student/Teacher ratio – Secondary School = 7 to 1 (including part-time)
Student/Full-time Teacher ratio – Secondary School = 8 to 1
Overall Student/Teacher ratio = 9 to 1 (including part-time)

New England Association of Schools and Colleges Accreditation

All of the elementary, middle and high schools of the Archdiocese of Hartford are accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), a prestigious accrediting agency that sanctions such esteemed New England institutions as Harvard and Yale Universities. Archdiocesan schools meet or exceed the demanding standards set by NEASC and understand that association with the independent schools of this organization deepens their commitment to excellence in education.

Test Scores

College-bound students in the nine Catholic high schools of the Archdiocese of Hartford perform better than their peers both nationally and within the State of Connecticut on all sections of the SAT®. Particular areas of strength include critical reading and writing.

Students in Catholic elementary schools of the Archdiocese of Hartford score in the top third of the nation in all subtests of the Iowa Assessments®, a nationally recognized norm referenced test that measures student growth and proficiency across all content areas. Archdiocese of Hartford students' performance on all subtests of this battery - math, reading, language arts, science, and social studies - exceeded the average score of students tested nationally.

High School Data - Class of 2016

100% of Catholic high school seniors graduate from high school.

98% of Catholic high school seniors pursue further education: four year colleges, two year colleges, training programs, or the military; 96% go on to two and four year colleges; 92% go on to four year colleges. Students graduating in 2016 from Catholic high schools included 6 National Merit Scholars. Our Catholic high school students perform 133,703 hours of community service at more than 1,255 different organizations demonstrating faith in action.

Financial Assistance/Tax Savings

The existence of Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of Hartford relieves taxpayer burden considerably in the towns that have Catholic schools. During the 2016-2017 academic year, the Archdiocese of Hartford is educating 12,618 children within 53 schools. Based on the most recent available data from the Connecticut State Department of Education, 2016, the cost to towns with Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Hartford would be $205,029,882 dollars in additional levied taxes. Most of the dollars to support these schools come from the parents and school fund raising efforts, but in 2016 the Archdiocese also provided $3,293,597 dollars in support to lighten the financial burden of parents.