We thank you for helping us get through this difficult past year. We thank you for carrying us through deep waters, trials and the pain of hard losses. May we always recognize how deeply we need your grace, power and strength. As we enter into this new year, help us remain full of the hope and joy that comes from Jesus Christ, our greatest gift and treasure. Keep our eyes focused on your presence as we walk with those whom you have blessed us to serve.
Faith Formation Team Announces an Upcoming Free Webinar!
Disability in and in Front of the Bible presented by Dr. Andrew R. Davis
- Part One: Saturday, February 6, 2021
- Part Two: Saturday, February 13, 2021
Please join us in this two part webinar to explore the religious, social, and cultural background behind the Bible’s depictions of disability and the ways those depictions have shaped Jewish and Christian views of disability. Each session will begin at 2:00 p.m. and end at 3:30 p.m.
Dr. Andrew R. Davis, Associate Professor of the Old Testament at Boston College, his interest in disability and the Bible was inspired by raising a son with Down Syndrome.
Attention Confirmation Coordinators and Youth Ministers:
Virtual Workshop: Supporting the Spiritual and Faith Needs of Youth During This Time Of COVID…and Beyond
This presentation is interactive and will help guide you in supporting the social, emotional, and spiritual needs of our youth. This workshop will be facilitated by Faith Vos Winkel, MSW, Confirmation Coordinator at Saint Patrick - Saint Anthony, Hartford. She will share helpful tools and strategies for working with our teen populations.
- Discussion on what families are juggling.
- What kids have lost these many months.
- Tools to engage youth in a virtual environment.
- Supporting emotional needs during the pandemic.
- Practical tips for meditation, prayer, music, and fun in the virtual world.
We will be offering this workshop twice:
- Wednesday, January 13, 2021 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. OR
- Thursday, January 21, 2021 7:00 p.m - 8:00 p.m.
Attention Confirmation Coordinators:
Attention RCIA Coordinators:
Due to the COVID crisis, there will be no Rite of Election this year at the Cathedral, however according to the rite (RCIA 121) bishops can delegate that ceremony to parish priests, and Archbishop Blair is open to offering that delegation to all the priests who would need it for their RCIA communities.
Attention Adult Confirmation Coordinators:
While we are still challenged by the COVID crisis, priests can request permission to Confirm adults in their parish, just as they can with the youth. There will not be a spring Archdiocesan Confirmation, however we are hopeful to plan a Fall Confirmation. To Confirm adults, priests would need to send a letter to Archbishop Blair requesting this delegation.
If you are planning on offering Adult Confirmation preparation in 2021, please let us know the dates and times and format (in-person or virtual) so we can share this information with other parishes.
Attention Catechetical Leaders:
As you prepare young children for the sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion
, consider utilizing guided meditations as a prayer form that engages a child’s imagination.This gift of imagination has been given to us by God, and it can help us to encounter Jesus in new ways. Here is a sample guided meditation
from St. Mary’s Press
to get you started, but feel free to create other narratives that will help children explore an encounter with Jesus. The book Guided Meditations for Catholic Kids by Glynnis Hope B. Dawson
contains many more examples.
- The article Using the Gift of Imagination to Pray, from Loyola Press, explores using imaginative prayer with young children.
- The Seasonal Resource Page on the OEEC website has many activities you can use for family faith at home, specifically on the following:
- Baptism of the Lord (and reflecting upon our own baptism)
- Call of the Disciples (and how Jesus calls us each day)
- Racial issues of justice (to coincide with Martin Luther King Day)
Attention Youth Ministers:
You are invited to attend one of the following virtual gatherings in January so that we have the chance to share, brainstorm and collaborate together on ministering to youth in 2021.
- Thursday, January 14, 10:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, January 19, 7:00 a.m.
There is no registration needed, just use this link (https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/821818677
) to join the meeting which is more convenient. You can also call into this meeting using your phone by dialing: 1 (786) 535-3211, please use access code: 821-818-677. We look forwarding to seeing you!