Alumni/ae of the Catholic Biblical School have several options for continuing their biblical education with the Archdiocese of Hartford OEEC. Check this page periodically to get updates, check out the latest OEEC newsletter or the CBS Bible Blog.
Faith Formation Series for CBS Alumni
Upcoming Event: February 11, 2019
During our 2018 listening sessions with alumni of the Former Lay Ministry Program, there was a great desire for opportunities for spiritual nourishment and engagement of laity in ministry. To that end, we are pleased to announce that registration is open for our first Day Away for Laity in Ministry! Click the link below to register.
Finding Spiritual Balance in Off-Kilter Times
A Day Away for Laity in Ministry
Presenter: Kathy Hendricks National Catechetical Consultant, William H. Sadlier
February 11, 2019
9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. (lunch provided)
Saint George Church On-The-Green 33 Whitfield Street Guilford, CT 06437
Register by clicking this link.
“Silent Auditing” for CBS Graduates
Four-year graduates of the Catholic Biblical School are invited to register online to participate in any of the core CBS classes as a “silent auditor.” Here’s how it works:
- Grads must register to sit in on a particular CBS class. Your registration is complete unless you hear from us. Plan to attend class as scheduled. Register here.
- Grads who have already audited courses will be given preference for Year 2 and Advanced Year courses.
- Grads who register are free to attend all thirty sessions of that class, free of charge. (Individual teachers may charge a photocopying fee for materials.)
- Current class schedules are online here.
- Grads are encouraged to form their own small group with other grads.
- At no time will grads participate with first-year students in small groups.
- Graduate small groups will decide their own agenda for the small group portion of the class and will facilitate their group activities independently of the instructor.
- Graduate small groups are invited to meet during class at the same time that student small groups are meeting, as directed by the class instructor.
- Class instructors will only entertain questions from silent auditors (at the instructor’s discretion) during small-group discussion time. (Grads should ask what the course instructor prefers and work within his or her guidelines.)
- Silent auditors may listen to instructor input but will remain silent during this part of the class.
- Graduate small groups are committed to one another and should let each other know about absences or cancellations as far in advance as possible.
- To find out about weather-related cancellations, grads are responsible for accessing the STS Registrar notification system at the Alumni Portal. You can also call the Office of Education, Evangelization and Catechesis at 860-242-5573 during business hours (8:30-4:30), but note that it is not our policy to notify auditors or students directly regarding class notices. To find out more about the Alumni Portal, scroll down for more information.
- Scripture Days may be audited for a fee of $15 per session. Register by contacting BJ in the OEEC. Fee must be received at least ten days in advance of the Scripture Day you wish to audit. No exceptions will be made.
Some suggestions for proceeding:
- Grads in the same class are encouraged to exchange contact information and to keep in touch.
- Grads might prefer to focus on questions raised in prayerful reading of the assigned scripture texts.
- Grads might want to use the “Optional Challenges” in their CBS Year One Workbooks for topic and question ideas for reflection and discussion.
- Graduate small groups can be as creative as they want about how they operate.
- Grads are encouraged to pass along their ideas for operating with other grads and with the CBS coordinator (BJ), to the benefit of the entire “Silent Audit” program.
To register, click here.
Student* Portal: http://www.stsregistrar.org/cgi-bin/CBS/cbsstudent... *Includes alumni
CBS Alums: If you haven't taken a course in recent years, you may not yet be in the system. Contact BJ Daly Horell and provide her with information that will enable her to add you to the system.
Instructions for accessing the student portal, where all official notifications (grades, cancellations, student contact information) are posted:
- To log in to the portal, enter your password into the field below the blue "Please Login" notice, and click on the "Login" button.
- Passwords are case sensitive.
- All alumni passwords follow the same format: UPPER CASE initials (two or three letters, depending on whether you gave us a middle initial) followed by your eight-digit date of birth. So if you’re Mr. Donald E. Duck, born March 13, 1914, your password would be: DED03131914. Or if no middle initial was provided in your application, the password would be: DD03131914.
For more information, please contact:
BJ Daly Horell
Archdiocesan Director of the Catholic Biblical School
860-242-5573 ext. 2679