As we anticipate welcoming teachers, students and their families back to school, I offer you these resources to use and share with classroom teachers to inspire faith formation.
September – the Month of Our Lady of Sorrows
|3||Saint Gregory the Great|
|5||Saint Teresa of Calcutta|
|8||Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary|
|12||The Most Holy Name of Mary|
|13||Saint John Chrysostom|
|14||Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross|
|15||Our Lady of Sorrows|
|20||Saints Andrew Kim Tae-gon and Paul Chong Ha-Sang and Companions|
|21||Feast of Saint Matthew|
|27||Saint Vincent de Paul|
|29||Feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel & Raphael, Archangels|
The McGrath Institute for Church Life at the University of Notre Dame has been publishing beautiful reflection booklets highlighting saints for each month of the year. If you are interested in downloading the monthly Saints & Reflection Guide - Click here.
Prayer Resources for the start of the year:
- The Catholic Catalogue: Prayers to Begin a School Year – Click here.
- Sadlier Religion: Beginning of the School Year Prayer Service – Click here.
- Ave Maria Press: Beginning of the School Year Prayer Service – Click here.
Book Resources I recommend for use throughout the year:
- Blessings & Prayers Through the Year: A Resource for Schools – Click here.
- Children’s Daily Prayer 2018-2019 – Click here.
- Companion to the Calendar – Click here.
- Rejoice and Be Glad – A Group Reading Guide to Pope Francis’ Gaudete et Exsultate – Click here.
- School Year, Church Year – Click here.
- Teaching Kids to Respect Others – Reflections, Activities & Prayers on Bullying and Prejudice – Click here.
- When You Teach in a Catholic School – Click here.
Lisa Orchen, M.Div.
Archdiocesan Director of Catechetical Initiatives
Office of Education, Evangelization & Catechesis
Archdiocese of Hartford