Everyone here in the Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of Hartford community hopes that you and your children are enjoying a summer break filled with fun and hands-on learning. And because we know that such energetic activities can really build up an appetite, in this blog we want to talk about one of our favorite things: treats.
Of course before we start talking about treats, we want to stress the importance of having three well-balanced meals daily. Visit our blog “Budget-Friendly Kids Lunches” for delicious and nutritious lunch ideas.
That said: What words would you use to describe your child’s favorite treats? Yummy? Sweet? Salty? How about: healthy? This blog presents recipes for treats that are all of the above, while being great replacements for the treats that aren’t so healthy for you. Although it is true that sugar-filled cookies and greasy potato chips are okay once in a while, if you have heavenly and healthy alternatives, why would you want them?
Check out these healthy takes on old favorites:
- Remember candy necklaces? You can make your own with nature’s candy.
- Apple Nachos for dessert? Why not: Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Apple Nachos.
- Too much sugar in store-bought ice pops? Try these Healthy Ice Pops.
- Chips and dip anyone? Yes please: Baked Cinnamon Chips and Strawberry Salsa.
- Love fruit cut into fun shapes? Who doesn’t: Rainbow Fairy Wand Fruit Kabobs.
- Into the bark craze? Start with yogurt: Fro-Yo Bark.
- Screaming for ice cream? No one will miss the real stuff with Two-Ingredient Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bites.
- Sour Patch Kids? How about Sour Patch Grapes for kids?
- Can’t stand the heat? Keep the oven off with No-Bake Energy Bites.
- Tired of the pineapple pizza debate? No one can argue about this Watermelon Fruit Pizza.
The best thing about all of these healthy treats is that you and your child can make — and eat — them together, adding more quality family time to your day.
For even more great good-for-you treats, visit the following resources:
- 15 Ideas for Healthy Summer Snacks for Kids
- 25+ Best Ideas About Healthy Summer Snacks on Pinterest
- 30 Kid-Friendly Summer Snacks
- 32 Healthy Kids Snacks
What are some of your child’s favorite healthy summer treats? Let us know on our social media pages.