The following series of books are excellent resources to equip catechist with the skills to share the faith with those they serve. These books are full of practical ideas for growing practically and spiritually.
- The Toolbox Series for Catechists by Loyola Press
- The Essential Catechist's Bookshelf Series by Twenty-Third Publications
- 31 Days to Becoming a Better Religious Educator
- On Demand Webinars by Sadlier Publishing (click on “Ongoing Catechist/Teacher Formation)
Resources for Times of Tragedy
It is so very difficult to talk with children and youth about tragedies and violence in our world, especially violence against young people. Below are resources which will help you in having these conversations with those you minister to. It is during these tragic times that we are called to bring the light of Christ to those who are saddened and faced with hopelessness.
- Confronting a Culture of Violence (USCCB)
- Talking With Children About Violence (US Department of Justice)
- How to Talk to Children about Difficult News by American Psychological Association
- Tips for Talking to Youth After Traumatic Events
- Tips for Talking with and Helping Children and Youth Cope After a Disaster
- When Violence Strikes (Care.com)
- Discussing Hate and Violence (ADL)
- Discussion Difficult Situations With Your Children (NPTA)
- Talking With Kids About News (PBS)
- Building Catholic Character (CERC)
- Exceptional Learner Resources (NCEA)
- Prayer After a Tragedy
Here are some classroom resources for the “Go Forth” generation from the Maryknoll Society. Motivated by love, inspired by the Gospel, and guided by our Catholic identity, the Maryknoll Society’s Discover Your Neighbor program empowers young people as agents of encounter to transform our world.
Creative Ideas on Teaching the Catholic Faith
Here are the links to some helpful websites and blogs filled with creative ideas on teaching the Catholic faith.
Archdiocesan Director of Catechesis
860-242-5573 ext. 2653