Resources that Address the Social Injustice of Racism
First, we must listen to the stories of our brothers and sisters of color who experience racism firsthand.
Then, we must allow the stories we heard to move us to act to ensure that the dignity of the human person will always be upheld, regardless of the color of their skin.
- Resources from the National Church
- Resources specific to school and parish ministers
Resources from the National Church:
- The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB):
- The National Catholic Education Association (NCEA):
- The National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry (NFCYM):
- Resource library addressing racism including ministry tools, prayers for use, and more.
- Their excellent webinar series on “Open Wide Our Hearts” is linked in the webinar section below.
Resources specific to school and parish ministers:
- Here are some ministry resources for helping those we serve understand the grave social sin of racism.
- Educator Resources:
Resources for use with children (for parents/families or school/parish personnel):
- Everyone Belongs, a children’s book reflecting on the reality of racism in society through the lens of faith, which was produced by the USCCB Ad Hoc Committee Against Racism; the Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development; and Loyola Press
- Anti Racism for Kids 101: Starting to Talk About Race
- Raising Race Conscious Children
- Social Justice Resources on Racism
- Podcast: Talking Race With Young Children
- The conscious kid
- Talking with our children about race Wendy Claire Barrie
- 31 Children's books to support conversations on race, racism and resistance – EmbraceRace
- How White Parents Can Use Media to Raise Anti-Racist Kids by Common Sense Media
- Books About Racism and Social Justice
- The Power of Words (Elementary)
- Responding to Online Hate Speech (Middle)
- Countering Hate Speech Online (High School)
- Classroom Materials on Racism from Facing History and Ourselves
Webinars and Videos:
- The Office for Catholic Social Justice Ministry (OCSJM) of the Archdiocese of Hartford is offering an excellent Virtual Conference Series on the US Bishops' Letter Against Racism, "Rooted in Faith, Opening Wide our Hearts." Click here for more information
- Click here for more resources from the OCSJM on racial justice
- The National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry has prepared the “Open Wide Our Hearts” webinar series addressing racism that is well worth viewing.
- How Studying Privilege Systems Can Strengthen Compassion - Peggy McIntosh TEDx Timberlane Schools
- Let's get to the root of racial injustice - Megan Ming Francis TEDxRainier
- Fighting Hate From Home Webinar Series provided by the Anti-Defamation League
Web Portals and Virtual Libraries:
- “Talking About Race” Web Portal National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Anti-Bias Resources NAEYC - The National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Resources for Educators, Parents and Families - the Antidefamation League
- Great Endeavors Mined & Shared Curation of Resources To Assist Our Response To Racism July 2020
- There is No Love Without Justice: The Catholic Response to Racism - By Gregory Floyd, Church Life Blog